zaterdag 17 september 2011

Fleetwood Fred

De groep Five's Company bestond uit 3 leden waaronder Bob Brunning die in 1967 de bassist van Fleetwood Mac was. Dit concept album uit 1969 bestrijkt het leven van een average Joe "from the musical theater feel on the opening "Darling I've got something to tell you" (where the father finds out from the mother the baby is on the way) to the closing "death" in the slapping gospel type stomp "Time to pop off". "Prayer before birth" may seem a little depressing but I guess the idea was to come through as the worrying thought of joining the world adventure in to the unknown with it's moderate verses and shouting choruses, it's a good grower and is now a firm favorite of mine though it wasn't originally and this is followed by the apt peppy bounce of "I'm a big boy now". The title track successfully takes a page from the book of the approach towards lullabying children's records. "The school boy" is a breezy sing a long while "If this is love" is a well put together, fairly moving lament about teenage love and has been a favorite of mine from when I first heard this album. "Break my heart" is an R & B style cryer, "Have you seen" is an upbeat, cheery ditty which brings the love birds back together though the slow blues of "I'm still hoping" is the end of the marriage. "Now I'm 64" predictably is an answer to the Beatles' "When I'm 64" not only in words but in music as well. Then, there is the irresistible waltz of "Happy to be here" looking back at life as an old man in a positive light."

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten